How to Report a Change of Address to USCIS


Change of address or telephone number in immigration court


The duty to notify all address changes to the Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) affects virtually all foreign nationals present in the United States.


This article explains who is required to notify the change of address, how it is done, and what the consequences are if this obligation is breached. Ultimately, it will clarify a change of address if you have a pending matter to the immigration court.


Aliens Required to Notify Change of Address to USCIS

The obligation to notify the change of address within ten days after the move was made applies to all foreigners present in the United States except:


  • Diplomats with visa A
  • Tourists who entered without a visa for a time not exceeding 30 days


Also, and for obvious reasons, undocumented migrants who do NOT have any pending business with USCIS are not required or required to notify their addresses or moves.


How the change of address is notified to USCIS

The notification of change of address follows three different rules depending on the immigration characteristics of the foreigner.

First, people who have one of the following pending or recently approved requests:


  • I-914 Petition for the T Visa for Victims of Human Trafficking
  • I-918 Petition for U Visa for Victims of Violence
  • I-765V Petition for Abused Nonimmigrant Spouse Work Permit
  • I-485 petition for adjusting the status an ONLY case of abused spouse in applying the Cuban Adjustment Act.


In all those cases mentioned, the foreigner must fill out the AR-11 paper form and send it to:



Vermont Service Center

75 Lower Welden Street

St. Albans, VT 05479-0001


Second, foreigners with pending cases not included in the previous section must notify USCIS of the change of address and the local center processing their petition. It can be done in two ways:


  1. They are submitting paper form AR-11 to USCIS and dialing 1-800-375-5283. Both steps are essential.
  2. You are notifying online of the change of address. In this case, only one step is necessary because when you have finished filling out the form, you can choose the option to continue to notify the center that you are processing the pending petition.


Third, all foreigners who do not have any pending petition with USCIS can notify the change of address online or by ordinary mail using form AR-11, any form is valid, but only one should be used.


In the case of being present in the United States with an international student visa type F-1 or a J-1 exchange visa – or the J-2 of dependents – the notification of the change of address can be made by contacting the office that carries Visa matters at the institution that applied for it, generally the Office of International Affairs, but it may be another depending on the institution. The change would be made by modifying the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS, for its acronym in English).


The obligation must be fulfilled every time the foreigner moves.


What is the penalty for not notifying USCIS of the address change?


The law says that failure to comply with that obligation is a misdemeanor that can be punished with a fine of $ 200 and a maximum of 30 days in prison.

It is also the USCIS’s decision to deport someone who has not complied with this obligation. For the latter, and in the case of legal permanent residents, the USCIS would have to demonstrate that the address’s change was not notified intentionally and without excuse.


Two tips on change of address

First, if you are in the United States on a visa or have a pending immigration petition, it is highly recommended to keep a copy of all notices of change of address made to USCIS. If it is done online on the USCIS page, screenshots of all the pages can be saved when the form is being filled. 


Second, if the green card is waiting, if possible, try not to move until you have the green card in hand. The USCIS mails it, and if it reaches the old address to retrieve it, it will be necessary to fill out the I-90 card replacement form.

Also, suppose the Postal Service does not return it to USCIS. In that case, it will be necessary not only to fill out the I-90 form, but also the fee of $ 455 will have to be paid again, according to current rates, plus $ 85 for collecting biometric data.


Change of address with Immigration Court

Unlike the obligation to notify the USCIS, inform the Immigration Court, which affects only foreigners in the United States who have a pending proceeding before the Court or the Immigration Appeals Court (BIA, for its acronym in English).

In this case, you must notify within five days of the change of address and the telephone number. Notification is only allowed in an official document from the Executive Office of Immigration Review (EOIR, for its acronym in English).

Once the data is completed, you need to fold and seal it following the instructions, put a stamp on it, and ship it. This form becomes an envelope and includes the recipient’s address.


More explained guide :

If you are not a US citizen and reside in the US, the law requires that you always keep your address up to date with the USCIS (United States Citizenship & Immigration Services). Although the process of changing your address with USCIS seems simple, it is not. These are the four processes that I recommend:


  1. For general address change– (when there are no pending applications with the USCIS):

If you do not have applications pending with the USCIS, you still have to file a change of address each time you move. The USCIS requires that the notice be sent to the general location. To do so, you must complete and send form AR-11 to the USCIS.

The general change of address must be sent to the USCIS (as of January 2014) at USCIS, Change of Address, 1344 Pleasants Drive, Harrisonburg, VA 22801.


  1. For specific address change(when there is a pending application with the USCIS):

You should first know that there are two address databases in the USCIS. One of the bases refers to the specific case you have presented or the application pending before a service center or a USCIS district office. To update your address in this particular case with the particular office, be sure to put your case number so that it can “match” your case file.

You must also change your address with the USCIS public database to update it, as I have indicated in number 1.

Please note that even if you become a U.S. citizen, you must inform the USCIS of your address changes if you are the petitioner on an immigration application or have completed a Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, for an immigrant visa petition.


  1. Use the USCIS website to update your address online. I recommend that you perform this step and keep a hard copy for your records of all the information you have filled out. This will serve as an additional assurance that you informed USCIS of your address change.


  1. Change your address with the post office to send any correspondence about your application or petition to you. You must make these changes before or immediately after moving out. Otherwise, important correspondence regarding your petition may be lost, and you may not be able to respond to a USCIS request. The USCIS will then deny your request and close your file, wasting your time, money, and you or the application beneficiary will find yourself in serious immigration trouble.


The process for filing an address change:

Address changes for the USCIS must be made on the AR-11 form. 

I advise the following:

If the address’s change refers to a specific case, then in one of the form’s margins, write the case number by hand like this: “REF: Case # ABC-12-345-67890”.

Please make copies for your records of any address changes you submit. Submit your AR-11 form to USCIS by certified mail or other verifiable mail to the USCIS service center. Be sure to keep a copy of the address change form and a copy of each service notice so that you have proof that USCIS received your address change.


As a final precaution, please remember that the USCIS takes some time to update addresses. Therefore, be sure to let people currently residing at your old address know to let you know if they receive any correspondence from USCIS for you.

Going on and doing these simple steps can save you a great deal of trouble later.


Be sure to include all the information requested on the form, including your:

  • New address
  • Your previous or most recent address
  • Foreign number (“A Number”) or registration
  • School or workplace, if you work or attend school.
  • Country of Citizenship
  • Birthdate
  • Route of entry and date of entry into the United States
  • Firm