How To Get A Green Card

A Green Card resident (permanent resident) has been permitted to remain and serve in the United States constantly. As evidence of that status, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) gives a person a permanent resident card, usually called a “Green Card.”

A green card, identified officially as a permanent resident card, is an identification record that proves that a person has a continuous residency in the United States. Green card residents are formally recognized as lawful permanent residents (LPRs). As of 2019, there are an expected 13.9 million green card owners; of that, 9.1 million are qualified to become United States citizens. Nearly 65,000 of them work in the U.S. Armed Forces. 

Green card holders are statutorily allowed to petition for U.S. citizenship after proving by a preponderance of the proof. 

It states that they have continuously lived in the United States for at least five years and are great moral integrity persons. Those younger than 18 years old automatically receive U.S. citizenship if they have at least one U.S. citizen parent. 

The card is identified as a “green card” because of its traditional greenish color. It was previously called a “certificate of alien registration” or an “alien registration receipt card.” 

You can become a living resident in many different ways. The largest amount of people are sponsored by a family member or business in the United States. At the same time, other people may become permanent residents through refugee or asylee status or other humanitarian applications. In several cases, you may be eligible to register for yourself.

Each year, the U.S. government allows more than a million green cards. Most maximum is given to family members of U.S. citizens and contemporary green card holders, supported by workers from other countries attempting employment in the United States as the following largest group of receivers.

But there are several other kinds of green cards. This domain guide grants a basic overview of the most basic types and who can apply for them.

Boundless can assist spouses of U.S. citizens and current green card holders with their marriage-based green card petition.

A Green Card (Permanent Resident Card): 

– Provides your official immigration status in the United States 

– Allows you to specific rights and responsibilities 

– Is expected if you wish to adopt as a U.S. Citizen

Various ways to get a green card

There are several different ways of petitioning for U.S. permanent residence. The most basic methods are listed below :

Diversity Immigrant Visa (Dv Program)

The DV Lottery program (Diversity Immigrant Visa). also known as the peen card lottery, is an official program that takes place once a year only and is owned by the American States Department.

Family-Based Green Card

  • The Close family members and relatives of U.S. citizens and current green card holders may petition for family-based green cards of their own. Qualified family members involve spouses, kids, parents, siblings, and spouses, children, adult children, and siblings.
  • Additionally involved in this category are widows and widowed men married to a U.S. citizen when the citizen died. Similar spouses of existing U.S. citizens and current green card holders who demand a marriage-based green card, widows, and widowers must confirm that their wedding was official to obtain a green card.
  • Various extensive family members — cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents — do not suit. They can apply for a green card only if they have a closer family member who is either a U.S. resident, current green card holder, or passes for one of the other types of green cards below.
  • You may be qualified to demand a Green Card using a family-based petition concerning having family members living in the U.S. as Citizens or Green Card holders. Some family members may be available to sponsor or request a Green Card for you.

Employment-Based Immigration

Employment visas permit a foreign society to work in the U.S. for a short period. This normally involves sponsoring the U.S. company’s employment visa status to relocate the Worker to the U.S. for a short time. Employment visas are sometimes called work visas or work licenses. There are normally limits on the number of employment visas declared per year. Each fiscal year (October 1st – September 30th), about 140,000 employment-based immigrant visa status are offered available to qualified applicants under the terms of U.S. immigration law. Employment-based immigrant visas are classified into five preference classifications. Some spouses and children may bring or follow-to-join employment-based foreigners. It is likely to become a permanent citizen of the United States through Employment. Some work visa classes require a certification from the U.S. Department of Labor, noting that there are no adequate U.S. workers who are qualified, reliable, able, and available in the geographic area Where the immigrant wants to be employed, foreign workers will replace no adequate American worker. United States immigration law grants foreign citizens a diversity of methods to ultimately obtain a green card for Employment in the United States. You can have a U.S. employer ready to petition for you to get to be a permanent resident of the States. In this situation, most applicants are already in the U.S. on a defensible U.S. work visa, including an L-1 visa or an H-1B visa. These Green Card applications are called employment-based petitions and usually involve filing an I-140 application to the Service Centre placed in the jurisdiction of the place of employment. First preference (EB-1) – priority workers. Second preference (EB-2) – immigrants who are part of the posts holding high-level degrees or who have extraordinary experience (including requests for national interest waivers). Third preference (EB-3) – experienced workers, experts, or other workers.
Employment-Based Immigration

Humanitarian Green Cards

People who have undergone torture in their home country — because of their culture, creed, origin, political belief, or society in a special social group — can ask security in the United States by petitioning for a visa from outside to appear as refugees or from inside the United States to remain as asylees.

Once they have lived in the United States for at least one year after receiving refugee status or asylum, they may petition for a green card. In some instances, children, spouses, and other family members of refugees and asylees may also seek security in the United States under these plans and finally demand a green card.


  1.  Find out if you’re qualified.
  2. If you are eligible, file Form I-485 – Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status with USCIS, including all approving reports and charges.
  3. USCIS will evaluate your request and record an interview with you.
  4. Once certified, your Green Card will be valid for ten years.

Steps To  Get The Green Card

The initial step you require to obtain your green card is to see if you are qualified to be given living residence. This implies deciding whether you fall into one of the sections given below:

– You can be sponsored by a relative or family member in the United States

– You can be promoted by a firm in the United States

–  You can be given asylum or refugee state in the United States– You can be awarded a green card as a “special immigrant.

– You can be allowed a green card as a human trafficking victim or vice victim– You can be awarded a green card as a victim of abuse

– You can be given a green card by the registry– You can be given a green card by one of the other sections of green card qualification 

Plan to file a request to register permanent residence or service rank with the USCIS. You must have some person to file an immigrant petition for you (a sponsoring organization or family member, etc.) There are some cases where you can file your immigrant appeal too.

To Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status with the USCISOnce you have obviously that you are qualified to get a green card and your immigrant petition has been accepted, you will want to decide which appeal process to go into to get your green card.

If you are now existing in or staying in the United States, you will require to register for an adjustment of status with the USCIS.
If you are presently living or staying outside the United States, you will require to apply to register for permanent residence in consular processing. You can do that here.

  •  A biometrics meeting will be programmed for you.
  •  You’ll get notice of this appointment via e-mail, and it will verify an appointment day, date, and time as well as a location nearby you where you should come for the appointment. You will have your fingerprints registered at this interview, have your photo taken, and give your signature. During this meeting, the data you provide will be used to verify your identity and go through a thorough history check on you to decide whether any external circumstances could occur in refusal of residence. If you reside and exist outside of the USA, your biometrics appointment will be controlled separately. In this case, you will have to submit official fingerprint papers and two passport-style photographs with your appeal.
  • The USCIS will plan an interview with you. After evaluating your request and taking your Biometrics, the USCIS will schedule an interview with you. You will not surely obtain permission or rejection of permanent residence at the time of your interview. Not getting a decision at the point of your interview does not significantly consider the choice made; sometimes more data is required to process an appeal, and sometimes red tape and the method of things need a little more time. It is also essential to consider here that not every petitioner will have to participate in an interview with USCIS. If you experience an interview, there is no deadline within which the USCIS has to reply to your application.
  • Once you have finished your interview, you’ll be allotted your green card if you are accepted. This will not certainly occur at the time of your interview.

As you can see, there are several downsides to getting a Green Card, so you must estimate your circumstances and make certain this is the right choice for you. If you are not completely sure about how long you need to visit the U.S. and are here on an H1B visa or something related, It may create more reason to live as a resident foreigner until you determine that you require to apply for living residency. You’ll still spend expenses on your global income, but it will give you some time to plan out your long-term objectives in the U.S.